Friday, July 17, 2009

See You Later, Elder Boothe!

We were privileged to be invited to Elder Boothe's farewell on Wednesday night. He was one of about 10 missionaries returning home after serving a very successful two year mission. The house was packed! And that is always a great thing to see. Means that they are loved.

Elder Boothe was one of the many Elders that have become special to our family. He served in our ward for eight months, which is rare - but we came to love and appreciate him and his service.

He said he wasn't ready to go home yet - but we knew that once he saw his family again, he'd know it was okay to be there. Elder Boothe left some of his personal belongings here at our house too - so we know we'll be seeing him again very soon and we're excited about that.

I do need to mention that I love hearing the testimonies of these young men when they are leaving. They have spent two years serving. No girlfriends, no hanging out with friends... just serving. These testimonies, when expressed, are so pure. I know many of these missionaries are anxious to go home, but leery too of the change in status once they get there. Must be hard to go from working for the Lord to working for yourself again. I know that they will do fine though. The lessons one learns on a mission are life lessons that can only benefit you in the rest of your life. Service, selflessness, priesthood blessings, praying always... all good things. As with other Elder's who have gone before him, we are anxious to hear about life after the mission. We love getting wedding invitations and news of new babies. And like many other Elder's who have gone before, we are anxious to have them come visit us! Even if it takes oh, I don't know... five years or more!

And they bring their beautiful wives with them!

I've also decided to try something new here. It's a little game I play with the boys at night, but it helps me reflect on my own blessings for the day. So here goes...

Best part of my day today - It's early, but I like waking up to a quiet and clean house.

Worst part of my day - Still early, but I know I'm going to have to finish painting those basement rooms today... and I'm not looking forward to that when it will be so nice outside!

Three things I'm grateful for...

  1. My family. We're not perfect. We say some pretty mean things sometimes - but I can't imagine life without them in it. I love them!
  2. My testimony. I'm not sure where I'd be in life without this one! This guides me and strengthens me when trials are abundant.
  3. A free country. As I've watched many things on the news and see how others live in other parts of the world, I'm ever so grateful that I haven't had to deal with those trials that they do. I don't have to live in daily fear of my life - or the lives of my children... and that is truly a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind things that people said...