Friday, July 3, 2009

School's Out - Stampede's In!

We've now had our first week of no school. We're doing good so far. Thanks to Sarah and Tyler (who did the ceilings) the rooms are officially painted and they look GREAT! We will be starting the lay the flooring down and putting doors up next week. It's not perfect but we did more than we thought we could - with a whole bunch of help from some very knowledgeable people, of course! Couldn't have done any of it without Zane, George, Sarah and Tyler!

We're going to take a break from house stuff tomorrow though, to go Stampedin'! This has been one of my favorite times of year since I can remember. As a kid, my dad and my grandmother would take us almost every single day. Rides, junk food, craft displays, sales booths, carny games, rodeos, chuckwagon races, grandstand show, concerts, animals... the fun just doesn't end! Plus, I'm a huge people watcher and the Stampede definitely brings the freaks out. D is not nearly as fond of crowds - or the Stampede - as I am, but he is making this sacrifice for me and I love him for it. I'll take pictures so I can share our day with you.

Not sure how much D will be able to take though. The other night he surprised us all with some Buster Bars and when he went to put them in the deep freeze he found a bunch of water on the floor and inside the freezer. Yup... my 18 year old freezer had died. I guess it didn't really owe us anything. I'd bought it before Tyler was born. It was in the clearance section of whatever store. I think I paid $200 or $300 for it. It moved with us from Calgary to Red Deer, back to Calgary, and four more moves after that. It held up way longer than anyone ever expected it to.

Anyway, we raced over to the Brick and bought a freezer. Poor sales guy didn't know what to think! I told him, "I need one today. What can I get from your warehouse or take off your floor today?" We actually got a a great deal being that it was their Canada Day sale and all. We took a floor model, loaded it into D's brother's truck and had it home and plugged in - all within an hour! I would much rather shop for furniture this way than dicker around with people. Here's what I want - do you have it or not? Throws those sales guys every time!

So back to the point about D... In moving the old freezer out of the basement, D thought he was strong enough to carry the little thing out by himself. Then the chest pain started. While I was out at a movie with my mom (Year One with Jack Black - DON'T waste your money on this one) D's chest pain was getting worse and worse. He finally loaded the boys up and headed over to the Urgent Care at about 9:00. I found the note when I got home and went to get the boys. Turns out D ripped some muscles when he lifted that little freezer. Glad it wasn't worse, but he's in a lot of pain. I'll take LOTS of pictures, because I don't know how long he's going to last there tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind things that people said...